Monday, September 25, 2006

LIFELINES





….of Jazz

In my own small history book, …is written the tiny notice; I talked with Ulf Wakenius for a few minutes in the phone about twentyfive years ago. The purpose was to check up why he didn´t join the suggested meeting for a interview in Gothenburg, at the locally well known cafe´ ”Brautigam” (I think this is the right spelling, BUT it can be Brudgums… or Bratwurst n´ Gum…or something else. You never know about the comical talents of the people in that town).
Ulf Wakenius said he had forgot the whole thing (been playing in a park). I then had heard Ulf Wakenius live a couple of times in guitarduo constellations, all of them impressive. In this particular record the artistry of ulf wakenius (Dragon Records 2002), the famous jazzpianoplayer Oscar Peterson mentions backcover; ”Tune for tune, I could only marvel at not only his musical dexterity, but more importantly to me, his deep roots into the true lifeline of jazz – the Blues.”
Just some years ago I heard Ulf on TV, in the Oscar Peterson group. I thought this was jazz guitar at it´s best – and it happens today.
On this record (picture) Ulf Wakenius morely does the soloperformance. Already in the opening number Have you met miss Jones?,... I immediately recongnized somebrazilpower…..as I said earlier….

-------------------------------------------
….or Classical

Gunnar Spjuth introduced classical guitar for me over thirty years ago. Looking in the mirror it was perfect. We were in the same age, the pieces of the puzzle over periods of guitar history were not delivered from above, from the ordentlicher highschuule-profezzor.
These recordings were done 1986 but digitally remastered in 2001.
Borrowed the CD from Hylte Folkbibliotek. Enjoyed the music right off, no thoughts about technical.
I always thought spanish pianopeices by Albenis and Granados were technically most comfortable for guitar duo…., but with a player like this,... why bother with social troubles....

Classical sologuitar, still in lead...... Details, all the work.

No comments: