Friday, March 24, 2006

MARCH´s SHORT-CUT TICKET

The old educational book in the english language (which I always study) tells me this story; Somebody asked an Irishman which he thought was more useful, the sun or the moon. “The moon, of course, he replied. “Why?”

“Because the moon shines at night when it is dark. The sun shines in the daytime when it is not necessary, because then it is light all the same”

Hey, that´s not nice, what a light on the Irish! Those melody lovers, who have so many tunes in their head. The most heavymetalmusichistorians know about the tune “Whiskey in the jar”, because of the versions of the groups Thin Lizzy and Metallica. Several times younger people asked me if I can give them the keys of playing it. (It suits their image in the front of a mirror). Several times I´ve told them, if I, the great musicteacher, if I had gave them that tune, before the mentioned wellknown versions were in the air, they had just yawn-yawn-yawn, “what, a stupid old english folksong, how heavy is that”.

As matter of fact there are thousands of stupid old folksongs, tunes, melodies….

Roll the globe... and put your finger on the little, bit, tiny...…. Europe,... for example.
They l o v e d good tunes in Europe even b e f o r e your grandparents were born. If we are talking about the whole world, the numbers of melodies are cosmical. Use "power" chords, ... go into the jungle of guitar effects, droptuning....you are making hits all the time,..., I forgot,... learn to play some normal melodies.

When I was young(er) myself I immediately wanted to know how to read music. There were no Tabs (internet is today full of them, often by poor quality, made by young men, I think almost never women,........but it´s getting better - I think almost one sunny day a year)

The idea of Tabs is older than written music as we know it from classical education. Different kinds of lutes, in Europe, how to play on them, was explained otherwise before the european pianodominated culture entered the scene. Maybe these explanations couldn´t compete as an system for information then, but today it will do, for guitar of different types. In combination with recordings it´s a "new" way of learning.
I use much of tabs nowdays, ...do my own for others, in my, well, we can call it education (maybe for me) I don´t like the word “pupils”, I prefer “sharetakers”. I also take share of what the they have to give me, I would say many times; much, it´s about energy I think.

O.K. Do you like melodies? That stuff they use on hit records. All the good singers use melodies, with ease. Not so much way back in time, in the sixties, nearly pure guitarbands made it.

Todays instructions are:
Pick up your pearly guitar full of stars. Play at least one melody by ear. Do you know how many melodies hide in one scale of any kind? No. we don’t know. For the moment you need one. I said only one. Not the whole show at once. Let the strings sing for you.

If you smile only once a year; take a look at Tommy Seebach´s APACHE-video, saw it on danish tv. If you roll around the carpet in hysterical laugh attacks, only once in lifetime, this was the fullmoon. Live injuns! Live Injuns! Dancing for your entertainment.
Apache Tommy Seebach - Google Video

No comments: